7 Awesome Things That Can Be Made with Hemp
What is hemp? Hemp is cannabis containing very little THC, too little to get you high. It’s an industrial crop used for its strong fibers. The first recorded use of hemp registers more than 10,000 years ago. When you think of hemp, you probably think of hemp rope or maybe the Betsy Ross American Flag, which was created with hemp fabric but so many more things are being made with hemp now.
Here are just a few of the coolest things made from hemp you can buy right now:
1. Carpet: Synthetic fiber carpet is made with a host of environmentally-unfriendly chemicals whereas hemp carpet is all-natural and biodegradable. Hemp carpets are naturally resistant to mildew and the fibers are stronger than cotton.
Even stores like West Elm are getting in on the hemp carpet action!
2. Jeans: Made from a combination of organic cotton and hemp fibers, hemp jeans can be as comfortable, stylish and wearable as traditional denim.
Want a pair? Try Hempy’s.
3. Butter: Hemp seed butter offers a nutty alternative to traditional dairy butter and it’s legal in all 50 states. Try it if you’re dairy-free!
Organic, vegan, gluten-free and kosher: try Dastony Hemp Seed Butter.
4. Surfboards: Hemp fibers offer more flexibility and strength than fiberglass when it comes to creating surfboard skins. Also, unlike fiberglass, hemp is non-toxic and sustainable.
Solid Surf Co. is giving away a custom hemp surfboard on their website.
5. Lotion and beauty products: From nail polish to hand cream, hemp oil is an alternative to mineral oil and petroleum-based products. Hemp oil is high in vitamins A, C and E.
Burt’s Bees carries hemp skincare products like this hand cream.
6. Animal chow: Corn is traditionally the grain of choice for livestock feed but hemp is a better, more nutritious alternative. It’s easily digestible and contains high protein as well as essential vitamins. Studies are currently being conducted that could make hemp the feed of choice with US livestock producers.
You can add hemp as a nutritional supplement for your pets.
7. Sneakers (and boat shoes, platforms, oxfords and more): Hemp shoes are taking the internet by storm as consumers gain a renewed interest in this wonderfully sustainable plant. It’s not all hippie clogs and sandals either. You can find a variety of cool footwear styles from chic heels to comfy topsiders.
Score a pair on PoshMark.