Canna-Trivia: 14 Cannabis Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
How much do you really know about the cannabis plant? It’s much more than some “weed” that’s cultivated around the world! People have been using cannabis for centuries; for social, religious, spiritual and medicinal reasons. There is hardly a civilization on earth that it hasn’t touched. Here are some fun facts you may not know about cannabis!
1. There are three distinct species of cannabis plants: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis, a low THC variety native to Europe.
2. Cannabis advocate Irvin Rosenfeld holds the Guinness World Record for most pot consumed by one person with an estimate of smoking more than 115,000 joints.
3. Hemp is a name for cannabis containing less than 1% THC.
4. Marijuana only became illegal in the United States during 1937.
5. Betsy Ross’ first American flag was made from hemp. Many of the Founding Fathers grew hemp crops.
6. 158.8 million people around the world use marijuana, more than 3.8% of the world’s population, according to the U.N.
7. There has never been a recorded death from cannabis overdose. You’d have to smoke 1500lbs of cannabis in less than 15 minutes for it to be fatal.
8. Cannabis plants can grow more than 16ft tall.
9. During the Indian and Nepalese festival of Holi, celebrants consume a drink called bhang which is a kind of cannabis milkshake.
10. Bob Marley was buried with his guitar, bible and some cannabis.
11. Stanford students in the early 1970s did the first online drug deal using Arapnet (an early form of the Internet) to sell cannabis to friends at MIT.
12. Which country produces the most cannabis? Wrong. It’s Paraguay.
13. Chocolate produces some of the same chemical reactions as cannabis in the human brain. Want to try some mood-boosting cannabis infused chocolates? Shop here.
14. Cannabis prohibition costs the United States more than $17.5 billion dollars annually.